Friday, April 16, 2010

Sassy Sydney

For some reason unknown to me, our precious four-year-old daughter has been turning up the sass-meter. And not in a good way. She seems to answer almost every request we make with a sassy, attitude-filled remark. Some real examples:

Mom and Dad: "Sydney, please clean up your toys."
Sydney: "I'm too tired to do that." (Spoken with a touch of whine and cheese.)

Sydney: "What are we going to eat for dinner?"
Mom: "Curry shrimp with rice and peas."
Sydney: "Eww, I don't like that!"
Mom: "You haven't ever tried it yet."
Sydney: "Well I just want ramen!"
Mom: "I'm not making anything else."
Sydney: "Then I'm just going to bed!!!" (Runs down the hallway to her room.)

Mom: "Sydney, go potty please, before you have an accident. Remember, that's what we do when we first get up."
Sydney: "I'm just going to go at Grammy and Grandpa's."
Mom: "AAARRRGGGGHHHH!" (Well, not really, but that's what I wanted to say.)

Last night Sydney got into trouble at the bowling alley child care. When I went to pick her up, Krista (the dear high schooler who was having a rough evening with the kiddies) informed me that she had to put Sydney on a timeout for running out of the room. She also told me that Sydney sassed her about it. What happened, Krista asked, to the sweet Sydney we know and love? Oh how I wish I knew!

So we had a talk on the way home and before bed, to remind her how bad choices make us mad and sad, but good choices make us happy. Her response?

"I'm not going to make bad choices ever again." Dream big, I say!


3 comments:

Victor Joe said...

I remember Sydney at Uncle Bill's house one evening when she and Kristin were playing together. I forgot the incident except the part where Sydney sassed me very emphatically. I had to put her in timeout in Brian Joe's room. I checked on her after a while and when she was ready to come out, she tearfully apologized to me for her behavior. We hugged and soon she was playing boisterously with Kristin again. I never saw Sydney act this way before. It broke my heart but life goes on.

Victor Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Victor Joe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.